By Harry Grover Tuttle and Alan Robert Tuttle
Want a quick way to get your students conversing more in the target language? Want an easy way to help your students improve in their speaking on a daily basis? This practical book shows you how to use formative assessments to gain immediate and lasting improvement in your students’ fluency.
You’ll learn how to:
- Help students climb the ACTFL proficiencies
- Guide students as they develop in over sixteen language functions such as socializing and persuading
- Embed the three-minute speaking formative assessment into every lesson with ease
- Engage students successfully in peer formative assessment
- Teach students to give each other formative feedback
- Provide struggling students with over ten improvement strategies for each language function.
- Engage students in over 170 speaking activities.
- Use Web 2.0 tools to foster speaking
- Move from summative assessment to daily or weekly formative evaluation of speaking
Each speaking assessment include instructions, the assessment form, extension activities, speaking topics, and at least ten strategies for improvement. There are ready-to-use checklists including the “I Can” log that helps students plot their own progress.
Research has confirmed that when teachers use formative assessment, students can learn in six to seven months what would normally take a school year to learn. You’ll find yourself using this book every day because of the gains your students will achieve in foreign language fluency.
These speaking assessment energize the class as the students have the opportunity to use a language function for a full minute. The students use language instead of practicing it.
Please share with your Modern Language teacher, Improving Foreign Language Speaking Through Formative Assessment